Equality Statement 2018/2019
At The Ferncumbe Cof E Primary School we are committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers receiving services from the school, irrespective of race, gender, disability, faith or religion or socio‐economic background. We aim to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity and able to participate fully in school life.
The achievement of pupils will be monitored by race, gender and disability and we will use this data to support pupils, raise standards and ensure inclusive teaching. We will tackle discrimination by the positive promotion of equality, challenging bullying and stereotypes and creating an environment which champions respect for all. At The Ferncumbe C of E Primary School we believe that diversity is a strength, which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit here.
We do this by:
· Treating all those within the school community (e.g. pupils, staff, governors, parents and the community) as individuals with their own particular abilities, beliefs, challenges, attitudes, background and experience.
· Creating and maintaining a school ethos which promotes equality, develops understanding and challenges myths, stereotypes, misconceptions and prejudices.
· Encouraging everyone in our school community to gain a positive self‐image and high self‐esteem.
· Having high expectations for everyone involved with the whole school community.
· Promoting mutual respect and valuing each other’s similarities and differences and facing equalities issues openly and honestly.
· Monitoring and reviewing all the above to secure continuous improvement in all we do.
Equality Targets for The Ferncumbe C of E Primary School 2016/20
Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
The needs of users are taken into account when developing policies and procedures.
Policies and procedures reflect and meet the needs of the whole school community.
Advance Equality of Opportunity Between People
Robust systems for monitoring pupil progress in place and monitored regularly.
To support and broaden opportunities for vulnerable families.
To year on year narrow the gap between the attainment of disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged pupils, across the school.
Foster Good Relations Between People
To develop pupil understanding of tolerance and respect for others through the promotion of British values.
Children exposed to different cultures, faiths, religions through first hand experiences and through the use of varied resources.